Hello everybody, welcome back to Fantasy 101! As usual, here are some of the picks for the waiver wire for Week 3.
I like all the rookies this week. Andrew Luck (IND), Ryan Tannehill (MIA), Brandon Weeden (CLE) and Russell Wilson (SEA). They all bounced back after Week 1 losses, and put up solid numbers. You’ll have to decide to play them based on what Defense they ’re going up against, but they all could give you a nice boost on a bye week for you at the QB position. I like Andrew Luck the most out of this group of Rookie QBs because of the (few) weapons around him. Tannhill is also intriguing because the Dolphins will be playing from behind more often than not. I just don’t like his personnel enough to play him on a regular basis.
- Ben Tate (HOU)- Tate is almost always handcuffed to anyone that has Arian Foster, but some leagues sleep on the Texans’ back up running back. Tate scored one more point than Foster this past week. He’s worth owning as a flex player and his value can only go up if Foster goes down.
- Mike Goodson (OAK)- Speaking of handcuffs, Goodson has become the primary one to Darren McFadden. Goodson had a 64 yard catch (from behind the line of scrimmage) last week for a TD, Goodson showed great breakaway speed. So keep an eye on him as Darren McFadden is injury prone.
- Andre Brown (NYG)- Brown has emerged as the starter in midst of Ahmad Bradshaw going down with an injury. Any piece of the Giants offense is worth owning and playing. David Wilson still in Tom Coughlin’s doghouse after a Week 1 fumble, so Brown is the back to own in New York.
Wide Receivers /Tight Ends
- Martellus Bennett (NYG)- Speaking of the Giants offense, I’m really high on Martellus Bennett in New York. When he was in Dallas, Bennett could never combine his freakish athletic ability with on field smarts while behind Jason Witten. In New York, he’s emerged as a red-zone target for Eli Manning.
- Danny Amendola WR (STL)- Amendola had an absolutely absurd day against Washington on Sunday. He caught 15 passes from 16 targets for 160 yards and 2 TDs. I don’t think he will have another day like that, but he will do major damage through the slot. Amendola also plays in the weakest division in football, so he is worth a matchup play.
- Jackie Battle RB (SD)- When the Chargers get Ryan Matthews back into the lineup, it’s worth checking out Battle. San Diego had no problem using Mike Tolbert as a goal line back to vulture TDs away from Matthews in previous years. I think Battle could be in line for a similar role if he continues playing well.
Good luck on your Week 3 matchups! Come back next week for another entry of Fantasy 101. If you need a game day decision, tweet me at @DCSportsFTW.